WinRAR for Mac
- License: Shareware
- Editor’s Rating: /5
- Updated: August 16, 2016
- Publisher: Rarlab
- Size: 496 KB
- O.S: Mac OS X
- Minimum requirements: Mac OS X 10.3.9 or later.
You can quickly and easily creates efficient compression that make the most out of your precious hard drive space.
WinRAR is a PC compression tool from RARLab that has become one of the best and most popular compression and decompression utilities available. However, if you use a Mac, where exactly does that leave you? Fortunately, RARLab has not forgotten the Mac users and has also made their utility available for Mac as well. This great extends the compatibility of RAR files across multiple platforms and makes it easy for Mac users to create compressed files with superior encryption and share them with the world regardless of whether they use a Mac or PC.
Benefits of RAR for Mac
There are many benefits of using RAR for Mac when you compare it to the default compression utilities included in Mac OS X
- RAR for Mac supports a wide range of compression formats includingRAR, ZIP, CAB, ARJ, LZH, ACE, TAR, GZip, UUE, ISO, BZIP2, Z and 7-Zip. If you use RAR for Mac, you can rest assured that you will be able to open virtually any compressed file you receive.
- RAR for Mac supports 128-bit encryption so you can create protected files that you can transfer over the Internet without the worry of other people browsing through your sensitive data.
- You can easily split very large files into multiple smaller compressed files to make them easier to transmit to other people.
- Once you purchase the software, you will automatically receive all the updates for free without having to purchase a new version over and over again.
As you can see, there are many great reasons you should be using RAR for Mac instead of the default tools included in Mac OS X. There are, however, a few drawbacks you should be aware of before you decide to start using RAR for Mac.
RAR for Mac Drawbacks
While RAR for Mac will allow you to create virtually any type of compressed file and will allow you to open them as well, it can be quite difficult to use for more novice users. RAR for Mac does not include a graphical interface at all so all the commands must be run using the command line interface using the Terminal. Most Mac users live their lives in the Mac ecosystem without ever touching the terminal and trying to use the Terminal for this one application can prove to be quite difficult for many users.
It should also be noted that while this application gives you a full 40 days to try it out, it is ultimately not free and once this period expires, you will have to shell out some money in order to keep using it.
The Bottom Line
RAR for Mac offers Mac users access to countless types of compression formats and will allow Mac users to easily share files with their PC peers. It is secure and will create some of the safest files imaginable so you can be sure your files are only seen by people that you determine should be allowed to view your files. However, the lack of a graphical interface can make using the RAR for Mac quite difficult for Terminal novices which, in all honesty, limits its usefulness. Still, if you decide to undertake the learning curve, you will find that you can create and open efficient, secure files that you can share across a wide variety of platforms.Ads by Google